Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Music Appreciation

As we venture into uncharted expressions of mangled media art, let's not forget--that even though we may be warping vinyl, hot gluing records and slicing or dicing album art, the primary expression--the music--is the art form of primary inspiration and appreciation at this particular point in our exploration. So go ahead and 'pop' the Fab Four off the cross walk on Abbey Road, or melt the tracks on Side A of Zeppelin's "In Through the Out Door", or adhere Jay Z's rap lyrics to a suspended CD...it's all good...and all in the name of manipulated media art. Let's get busy!!

For future re-visits, here is the video of Maestro Benjamin Zander discussing the importance of classical music appreciation (a great piece!):



And now for a little fun. Below, are the lyrics from Radiohead's No Surprises. I decided to do a little media manipulated opportunity on this blog...a sort of "guided stumbleupon" journey. See if you agree with the hypertexted imagery I've sprinkled throughout the words! Let me know what you think (or make your own suggestions) in your comments.

AND REMEMBER: quiz on Thursday!!!


No Surprises
By Radiohead

A heart that's full up like a landfill
A job that slowly kills you
Bruises that won't heal

You look so tired unhappy
Bring down the government
They don't, they don't speak for us

I'll take a quiet life
A handshake of carbon monoxide

And no alarms and no surprises
No alarms and no surprises
No alarms and no surprises
Silent, silent

This is my final fit
My final bellyache

With no alarms and no surprises
No alarms and no surprises
No alarms and no surprises please

Such a pretty house
And such a pretty garden

No alarms and no surprises
No alarms and no surprises
No alarms and no surprises please


(what a happy song!)

8 comments:

  1. i cant see any of the links because hun has blocked them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im with Janine i can only see a few of them but the ones i do see are pretty funny like the house and such and some random dude that looks like he's in a bubble of some sort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My project might seema a little bizarre but here goes nothing. I am using a 33 1/3 size album to make a bowl. This requires an oven, a cookie sheet and scissors. I will also use the 45 size records to make a set of coasters. I guess it will be my little dinner set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hun blocked the images for me too, bu I can only guess what they are. Im speculating...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of the images except the last one. This is not a happy song, it is like the saddest song I have ever heard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Media Artists--

    I will see about the "blocked" sites. Another visit to the IT department is in order. Stay tuned!

    Isaiah--don't forget to copy and paste that web address of your "baking instructions" on your next comment. Ok? BTW...I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

    Mike C--Bubble dude? What pic are you referring to? The Apple & PC characters?

    Alex--of course it's not a happy song!! But it does make you think, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My "bring down the government" wouldn't load (maybe the government was brought down?) but other than that the photos were very amusing. This is a sad song and after listening to it 5+ times in class it brought down my mood. Even though it's sad it is oddly calming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the pictures really help to show the feelings of Yorke. The landfill picture shows this well by giving us a look at his congested and heavy hearted feeling. Although, the song is calming but sad at the same time. The tone seems to represent his feeling of relief.

    ReplyDelete