Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Jack Kelly--World Class Rower (Guest Blogger: Julia Vari)


John (Jack) B. Kelly Sr. is one of the most influential oarsmen. He’s the “Babe Ruth” of rowing. After his family moved to Philadelphia from Ireland, he’d watch professional single scullers(one rower in a boat using two oars) racing on the Schuylkill River dreaming to one day be them. He started rowing with local clubs, the most notable being Vesper Boat Club. Vesper is still around today and is one of the boathouses making up Boathouse Row. He later learned to scull and after overcoming flipping his boat in early races, Jack won numerous events. With a 126 race winning streak and 6 National Championships Kelly applied to race at the Henley Royal Regatta, one of the most prestigious rowing events taking place in England. Kelly, being a bricklayer, was not accepted because at the time all rowers had to have professions that were not laborious since it was seen as an unfair advantage for someone to work with their hands all day. He got his redemption by competing in the 1920 Summer Olympics where he won the single a second faster than Jack Beresford and he won the double scull with his cousin Paul Costello.


I got into rowing last year as a freshman. Basically every weekend this year my team has traveled down to the Schuylkill River. It's really inspirational rowing on a river where such a great oarsman got his start. Above is the statue of Jack Kelly at the finish line on the Schuylkill.

Below is a rowing race. The first is a single sculler (which Kelly was). The second is the more popluar eights.





Now, my question for you is who is your favorite athlete or what is your favorite sport? Why?

6 comments:

  1. My favorite athlete? Hard to say, since I'm not a big sports fan. Thinking about student athletes that have come through The Hun School, Myron Rolle stands out both on and off the field. Of course, I hear Nick Guns is a pretty decent athlete and a world class student, no doubt! (But he does push his luck a little in class! ;) )

    -Mr. Hoban

    Julia--you will have to get back to the blog and spell "popular" properly. Some rewording in the first paragraph will also help clear up some of the language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite sport is ice hockey and one of my favorite players is Ryan Kesler. He is a two way player that can make defensive as well as offensive plays for his team. He was in the Vancouver olympics and showcased his smart passing, quick hands, and hockey sense throughout the tournament. I like hockey because it is fast paced, physical, I enjoy the game's stlye (not really sure what that means either), and hockey is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Hoban -- I'll get right on that. Obviously I don't proof read my writing. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Favorite sport is Football because I like the way the game works and to me it is enjoyable. My favorite athlete is Eli Manning because my favorite NFL team is the New York Giants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite sport is basketball because I have grown watching it a lot. My favorite athlete is Steve Nash because an all-around great player and plays so smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite athelete is Jaromir Jagr who is an ice hockey player that has been MVP three times in the Nhl and when he lost his speed, he made up for it with his passing ability.

    ReplyDelete